February 24, 2011

Recipe of the Week: A filling soup for you!

I never really went to Venus de Milo at all until a few years ago (I know! What kind of Rhode Islander am I!) but my mom always made the soup...

The other day armed with some ground beef, a huge thing of frozen veggies and needing a recipe-- I decided a good filling soup was the way to go. I was thinking in the back of my mind of some recipe and then it came to me "venus de milo soup!". yum.  It was really good- -and there was so much of it-- that we had it for dinner, and I've had it everyday this week for lunch at work (and I still have some left!).
The total cost of this meal is about $10 bucks so it's worth it (my new thing is making food last on a smaller budget). Plus you can do it all in one pot (make sure its a big one)

I had to google a few recipes, and play with it a bit to get it right and here is what I came up with:
I assure you it doesn't look 1/2 as appetizing as it tasted!
Here's How to Make it:

1 lb Ground beef (I used 97% lean)
1 bag frozen assorted vegetable (use a classic mix like corn, peas, green beans..)
1 large (36 oz) can or box of chicken broth
1 can of beef broth (8 oz) <--- some recipes called for all beef or all chicken- I ended up using a mix because I thought all beef would be too salty and not the right taste but all chix. broth wasn't really what I was "going for"
2 cans diced tomatoes (some recipes called for stewed, its up to you. I liked that I didn't have to "cut up" the tomatoes and could just dump them in, thus saving time)
1 clove garlic
1 yellow onion

Brown the onion, add garlic, brown 1 minute.
Add ground beef and cook until browned

Slowly add beef broth- let this simmer about 5 minutes (clean up your work space, you know I'm big on that)
Add chicken broth
Add frozen veggies
Stir and let simmer about 20-25 minutes

Add in dice tomatoes- one can, then stir, then add the second
Add a dash of salt, a dash of pepper, and a dash or Italian seasoning (quick dash)

Stir it all up.

Let it simmer another 15 minutes or so before serving.

All in all it takes about an hour start to finish and you'll have an obscene amount of left overs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: